Sunday, February 3, 2008

Persuasive Speeches

I decided to read I have sinned speech by President Bill Clinton. I thought it was a really interesting choice to read because it was a speech that had to be extremely persuasive. He uses pathos often to try to get people to almost feel sorry for him. He says several times that he has done wrong, that he has sinned, that he required sorrow and forgiveness, all things to try to evoke emotion in the listeners. He also mentions God, saying that he sinned, quoting the bible and saying he needs must have God's help and he needs your prayers. He knows that some of the population is very religious and in my opinion, that is his way of trying to get more religious people to forgive him.

Personally, I don't think that that speech was very effective. It seemed very rehearsed and fake. He only said things that he knew would hit close to home or would distract us from what the real point of the speech. He barely acknowledged the situation at hand instead speaking of making peace in the world and quoting a Yom Kippur liturgy. I can see why he would use it, trying to evoke the emotions in his audience so they would feel bad for him and forgive him but for me it backfired and I am offended by the speech. I think that he messed up and should have acknowledged it instead of try to cover it up.


This is the link to the speech:
http://www.famousquotes.me.uk/speeches/Bill_Clinton/index.htm

No comments: